Friday 12 December 2008

Now I'm a Qualified Photographer: So What?

Does it matter whether a photographer is qualified? Some people seem not to care one way or the other. Some photographers say they can get work without bothering with formal qualifications, based on word of mouth and the quality of what they've done before. Just as some customers have told me that all that matters is personal recommendation, and whether they like the person's previous work.

But coming to it after a career in another profession, where qualifications are absolutely essential, I felt differently. I wanted to demonstrate an assured level of competence, recognised by a respected professional organisation. So I looked into the UK organisations that offer qualifications. The one I chose was the British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP). This is solely concerned with maintaining and improving professional standards, developing skills and encouraging continuing professional development, facilitating communication in the photographic industry, and safeguarding the future of the industry. It doesn't function as a commercial trade organisation. It does genuinely seem focused on improving members' skills. It doesn't hard-sell goods and services to its members. It also appears to have the most rigorous and systematic assessment processes.

The entry level qualification is Licentiateship. This represents an established level of skill and competence. It requires you to present a panel of 20 images (preferably mounted prints) that demonstrate: composition, control and lighting of the subject; and sound technical competence. The images have to fall within a specific category of photography: mine were Press & PR. A Working Profile document is also required, which describes your working methods in general as well as specifically in relation to each of the submitted images.

I've been favourably impressed with the processes involved. BIPP offers one-day training courses to candidates at reduced rates. It also offers candidates free mentorship from senior members (BIPP Fellows). Regional meetings provide opportunities to share your work with other members and get useful advice. The judging of submissions is carried out by three Fellows, who examine the images before inviting the candidate in for feedback. I found this very informative, with the strengths and weaknesses of individual images very trenchantly described. I got really useful advice on how to develop my skills and my style of work. It certainly felt rigorous, anything but a walkover. I felt I could easily have failed to pass, had I worked any less hard on the images I submitted.



Here's an image the judges said nice things about. They liked the composition with its use of the windows into the atrium beyond. It shows artist Cynthia Harrison at Bank St Studios in Sheffield and was part of my commission to photograph artists' studios for Open Up Sheffield in May 2008. More of these images are on my website.

So now I'm a qualified photographer. So what? I do feel anyone employing a photographer would be well-advised to choose someone qualified with BIPP. And also that I've been validated, through a process I found well worthy of respect, as having shown myself competent. I'm also encouraged to pursue my development as a photographer, to aim in due course for the next level of qualification, BIPP Associateship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, congratulations.

Having been through the same process just minutes before you I can attest to the feeling of relief when you work, having been examined not only for competence and artistic ability but also for the final print process, is deemed suitable for you to be awarded your Licentiateship.

My interaction with the Fellows assessing my work was slightly different to your, but no less helpful. As I shoot landscapes and the panel members were not so proficient in that discipline, they felt it unsuitable to offer immediate advice on improving my abilities and instead have put me in touch with another Fellow who will mentor me through to Associateship. They did however comment on the overall aesthetics and quality of the work which proved welcome; I tend to have doubts about my ability - don't we all sometimes?!

As you mentioned, the choice of qualified over non-qualified photographers is highly recommended. A qualified photographer will have had their work critically assessed by some of the best in the business and any client can be assured the final result will be of a high standard.

Again, congratulations.

Andy

David Shapiro said...

Andy, thanks for your commment and congratulations to you too. Your work is so different from mine it shows what a wide range of photographers are brought together by BIPP. We can all learn from one another, sharing skills and applying vision and technical ideas from one field of photography to another. Keep at it, keep on improving!

David

Anonymous said...

Having commissioned David as our event photographer for the Artists Open Studios South Yorkshire 2008 event, I am not surprised he has gained a professional qualification. He was very thorough and technically skilled in what could only be described as varied and often testing circumstances, capturing the artists and their work while giving a sense of where the work is made or shown. He was pleasure to work with and the images say it all.
Sharon Gill
Project Mangera